The Department of Biochemistry-Biotechnology, Postgraduate Program “Toxicology” of the University of Thessaly, and the Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Immunology, Department of Pharmacy of the University of Patras have the pleasure to invite you for the second consecutive year to the Scientific Summit on Tobacco Harm Reduction to discuss on Novel products, Research & Policy. The 2nd Summit will be held in Athens, Greece on the 29th and 30th May 2019, in Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.
This year the Summit is organized in collaboration with the Department of Public Health, National School of Public Health, Athens, and the 2nd Cardiology Dept., University Hospital Attikon, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
The frequency of alternative tobacco product use (e-cigarettes, Heat-not-Burn products, loose leaf, snus, etc.) among smokers and the association with switch and quit attempts is increasing; the scientific community is debating, in the attempt to explain the benefits and the risks associated with these products.
The objectives of the Summit are to offer opportunities for scientists of different countries to:
- Present, discuss, and challenge recent data related to this topic
- Discuss and debate on scientific, technological, medical, regulatory, legal and policy issues for advancing the technical capacity of the participating countries
- Provide an environment where regulatory authorities and policy makers may present to the scientific and medical communities their prospective course of action.
The scientific program of the conference aiming to address THR in a 360° approach will include the following specific topics:
- Toxicology and aerosol chemistry - Chemical composition of the aerosol, droplet size and distribution, temperature and toxicants, indoor air quality
- Biomarkers’ evaluation in animal or human studies
- Preclinical evaluation
- Epidemiology & Social Issues (Perception risk, Attractiveness etc.)
- Clinical Assessment and Harm Reduction
- Regulatory issues
- Innovation & Novel Products
- Smoking cessation
- Educational issues in adolescence.